Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A “Ray” of Light

A “Ray” of Light
by Robert McIntosh

When you think of the Ravens’ playoff run to Super Bowl XLVII, what do you think of?   Is your first thought of quarterback Joe Flacco growing into the big playmaker that the Baltimore Ravens had been waiting for since he was drafted?  Or is it Ray Lewis’ looming retirement and riding off into the sunset, using the Super Bowl as the final podium to showcase his Hall of Fame worthy linebacker skills one last time?

Did you forget about Ray Rice?  With these other storylines, I can’t blame you.

It’s easy to forget about the All-Pro Running Back, out of Rutgers University, who gained 1,621 yards from scrimmage during the regular season, while crossing the goal line 10 times on the ground and through the air.  If it weren’t for Flacco’s spectacular playoff run and Lewis’ swan song, the New Rochelle native would be one of the lead stories in this year’s Super Bowl against the 49ers.   It seems to be fine with the Ravens' star.  He has only one thing on his mind this week.

When asked about the Super Bowl, Rice responded, “Obviously, we are going to enjoy this.  Obviously, we are going to get to work this week, but you get down there, there’s nothing like it.  I said I have never been to a Super Bowl game.  I have been down to a few Super Bowl appearances, but I told myself I’m never going to one unless I’m playing in it.  This is the one that I finally get to say I’m playing in it.”

Rice still has his head on his shoulders.  While he will do all he can to hoist the Lombardi trophy, he understands there are greater misfortunes than losing the Super Bowl.

“There are people out there really hurting, fighting cancer and all kinds of sicknesses, and here I am playing at the Super Bowl. What do I have to complain about?”

If you don’t have a dog in the fight, Rice is a good player, and even greater guy, to root for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment